Sunday 24 June 2012

Report 079 My first trans tasman Jetskifishing session... 2nd of June 2012

With a Queens Birthday weekend holiday break planned for the Gold Coast, I was fortunate to get an invitation to go Jetskifishing. I’m always interested in fishing different areas around the world, so this was an exciting opportunity.
That was the last of the blue sky for this trip, on arrival I was welcomed by rain and wind which was to be for the whole stay of the trip! The Jetskifishing session was not looking promising so I decided to visit the local jet-ski dealers. Gold Coast Waverunners had made some big changes since my last visit, bigger premises and a very impressive showroom.
The jet-ski dealers are another level up from what we experience in New Zealand, stock levels are plentiful with many models on display. This is the local BRP dealer, once upon a time Gold Coast’s largest jet-ski parallel importer.
Seeing all these skis was enough motivation for me to run with my offer of a Jetskifishing session on the Gold Coast, rain or shine. On the Saturday, I arranged for an early start with Rexy Redden (a kiwi but now one of the locals) to show me the sights… 6am early start from the apartment I was staying at.
Ten minutes drive down the road and we arrived at the Broadwater waterways to launch the ski for a two-up new Jetskifishing adventure.
Rexy’s plan was for a five minute ride on the Yammie to the local bait shop, accessed by water at Howard’s Landing. This was a new experience for me and an interesting concept that would be much appreciated at my local fishing grounds.
Plenty of Gulp baits in store and Rexy knew exactly what was needed for the local fishing grounds.
All stocked up and we were off to the Seaway, we were limited and had to stay in close due to the approaching swell. Target species was Jewfish and we were fishing amongst lunatics on pole skis in a rapid current.
I don’t have a lot to report from the fishing, as we were pretty limited with opportunities due to the weather. I learnt plenty about the local soft baiting techniques and believe much of what I have learnt with soft baiting back home in New Zealand would be very successful on the Aussie fish species. This was the rig Rexy had us using, unfortunately I only managed a couple of hits for my few hours wet Jetskifishing.
We cruised the local sights, familiarizing me with the area for the next time I fish Aussie waters under better conditions. It was a scenic ride back via the waterways, there are some amazing properties and most looked to have at least one jet-ski if located on the waterfront.
Was an amazing experience even without catching any fish, something to remember with Jetskifishing. The adventure of Jetskifishing is the fun of going for a ride and catching fish is the bonus as it happens.
Thanks again to Rexy for showing me around and his hospitality, a refreshing reminder of the good people we meet with Jetskifishing.

Cheers, Andrew Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most popular report...