Saturday 19 March 2011

Report 001, Easter Friday – Coromandel 17 Pounder... 2009

As most of you other jetskifishoes had planned an early start, I was not so motivated to race to the ramp with every other fisherman for Easter. My plan was to head out once the weather warmed up and rush died down. I ventured down to Bucklands Beach ramp for my solo mission and the only down side of the late start was the big walk parking the trailer! The ski was filled to the maximum of its 70 litre tank and with the channels grid locked for fishing, my intentions were to only go wide, after a brief social visit along the way see the other keen jetskifishoes aka Softbaiter and Doggie from the forums. After the brief the stop, I started heading for Little Barrier with the vision of diving Gannets in crazy work ups, not to be! The water was a mill pond out wide, after no obvious action, I then detoured heading for the tip of the Coromandel at about 40 mph.
Typically I am not so conservative and normally on open water sit on 60 mph, but this unchartered territory of distance, I was being conservative for fuel. Before I knew it, I was only 3 nautical miles off my goal and enjoying the peace on the calm waters with only and handful of boats in site.

At the first stop, there was plenty of sign and I was in to the Snapper instantly, on the 5" Curried Chicken. The first catch was about 380mm and it was swiftly released for another day. Not long and I was on to another, this one was 480mm, a healthy pannie to keep.
Next I could see some bird activity, closer towards the mainland, I headed over and there was Kahawai breaking the surface. This was a very encouraging sign, so I decided to try a 7" Gulp Watermelon. This was to be the pick of the day for my colours, I was getting some serious hits. I wound up and had another cast, this time the plastic didn't even make it all the way to the bottom. I was smashed and had a heavy string puller!
This is what soft baiting is all about, extremely sporting with the light gear. I was loosing more line than what I was winding, I knew this was a solid fish. The rod arched and had the big nod and the reel was having sporadic screams as the fish continued to peel line. I was fishing in about 30 metres of water, so this was to be a patient tighten, I was believing that was plenty to hold the fish, yet it continued to keep taking line. I must have tweaked the drag at least a dozen times to control the fish without busting the line. Eventually the battle was won, I could see a nice fat Snapper coming up in the last 5 metres of water. I was quick to get the net ready, as there has been plenty of good fish I have lost before getting them in the bin with a relaxed attitude. Weighed at Top Catch HMB 7.96 kg ( 17.54 Lbs)
 The catch was not confirmed yet, as I still had to get it in the bin, as you will see there needs to be a new "Ultimate Rod Holder" model developed if I am taking home any more big smokers.
Fortunately a considerate boatie agreed to do a photo for me, for the enquisitive wondering if I really did catch it at the Coromandel on a jetski
I then went back for a fish again to only get plagued by Kahawai
I decided to keep one of the Kahawai
I had enough of the Kahawai frustrations and decided to head back, came across the Dolphins and Gannets half way towards the Ahaaa’s (The two islands to the right in the distance, is the Noise's).
That was a great day to be on the water, used about 61 litres for the whole trip and finally got some reward for the persistence on the plastics with a healthy personal best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most popular report...