Tuesday 22 March 2011

Report 033 Road trip to Whangaparaoa... 27th of March 2010

This weekend was the Beachlands Chartered Fishing Competition, so I thought it would be an opportunity to represent Jetskifishing in the local comp. Earlier in the week the weather forecast was looking perfect for some of my long range hot spots, but the day before the comp the weather changed for the worst. The winds increased to a strong westerly of twenty knots so I had to implement a new plan of attack, which no longer included Channel Island…
I decided to drive up to Whangaparaoa – Gulf Harbour and launch at the public ramp with a heading of Flat Rock. On arrival at 6.30 am the plans quickly changed, with the wind blowing directly at the ramp, making for a difficult solo launch. After a chat with the marina security guard, we agreed Army Bay would be the more viable option. I ventured over to the ramp, with enough tide and light, for a safe launching.
I navigated a slow journey out using the Raymarine GPS, to locate the destination of Flat Rock. With the navigation lights switched on for low light, there was the building sea chop, with a welcoming sight of an amazing sun rise.
On arrival at Flat Rock, there was plenty of bird activity with the Kahawai working the bait fish. I was quickly in to my work, selecting my Daiwa Black/Gold 300 gram speed jig, to complete my first drop. It was certainly hard going in the wet conditions, the Kingfish were not as lively as my recent sessions… Staying warm was going to be important for the patient session I had planned, so being kitted out in my Sharkskin clothing was a sensible call. I completed a few changes with jig colours and then what I thought was to be my first solid hook up for the day, was sadly a snag! There was no way I was going to free my jig easily, so there was my first gear loss for the day! I have found re-rigging the heavy gear on the ski, is somewhat awkward in rough conditions, one of the few down sides of Jetskifishing. I opted for some soft baiting in the mean time, knowing I required an average size and heaviest Snapper attempt. It wasn’t long and I had my first Snapper of the day going 1.42 kg, which I thought maybe a good contestant for average. I continued on and next I had another, this one going just over 3 kg, caught with a Gulp – 7” Curried Chicken.
I continued on with the soft baiting, while thinking I should focus on the prize of a good Kingfish! I knew my energies were better put into jigging, so I soon decided to take the long journey back to Shearers Rock by Tiri to re-rig at a sheltered spot. The trip was straight in to the building wind and I did it with the hard yards, taking it slow and wet, rather than bashing my way through it! Certain trips it is easier and a lot faster to speed across the tops of the waves with full concentration, avoiding the ongoing drenching of slow riding in extreme conditions.
A trip which normally takes ten minutes, took forty on this session, I was starting to wonder why I bothered for a measly two Snapper! Once my jigging gear was set to go again, I tried a few drifts around the marker bouy and soon spotted the rat Kingfish chasing my 300 gram purple jig. I reset the drift, yet with no success, so I moved over the other side of the bouy, drifting over the reef where I spotted some good sign. It was then when the day changed for the better, with one rapid drift, I was struck on every retrieve of the jig. I completed six releases on one long drift, so I reset with visions there has to be bigger fish, that there was! A Shark taking my first legal fish of the day…
This was not going to stop me, so I continued on with my energies fading fast with the repetitive jigging action. I finally caught another legal one, so with time running out, I needed to head back for the 4 pm weigh in close off.
It was certainly a hard day on the water, and I timed it just right, having just enough water depth, to retrieve the WaveRunner easily at Army Bay. The local Coastguard had the right idea there, with the use of a Sealegs…
I made it back for the weigh in, to see no Kingfish, so regrettably wish I had submitted my fish, just under the one metre minimum limit. There was a great attendance for the competition, with the heaviest Snapper weighing at 5.35 kg, yet the average was a small 1.114 kg. Even with the extreme conditions, it was still a fun experience and I look forward to being involved in a few more local comps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most popular report...