Tuesday 22 March 2011

Report 024 Crazy legs make for a quick Snapper session... 10th of December 2009

With another busy week, the fridge was fishless so Innsie and I decided to sneak out for a quick fishing session… We decided to meet up at Rakino Channel and try the fishing there, which is usually rewarding at this time of year. We both had work obligations so it was better meeting on the water, instead of waiting at the ramp for each other when one could be fishing.
I ended up leaving Bucklands Beach at 4.45 pm, with a hard going lumpy trip most of the way out. On the way there at speed, there was a small embarrassing gear incident. I somehow engaged the reverse on my Daiwa Sol reel and my whole braid unspooled at 90kph, not a good sight when you turn around to see that! Once all the gear was secure again, I continued the ride to meet Innsie, who was sheltered from the wind, behind the Three Sisters. He gave me the big zero hand signal, which wasn’t to promising, after I anticipated some hot Rakino fishing. I then suggested we head out to the channel opening, where I spotted Bruce, another keen fisho. He was enjoying his boat luxuries, with some slow fishing on the Kahawai, hoping for some Snapper action. We also tried that area for a few casts with no success and then agreed if we can’t see any sign on the sounder we are wasting our time! We then headed over to my most consistent spot of the year.
On first drop at the Haystack, with the 7” Gulp Camo, I foul hooked this Snapper.
I then look over in the distance and see Innsie is also on to a string puller with the light gear.
We decided it was time to try different baits, once we switched to the Gulp Crazy Legs-Lime Tiger, it was one fish after another.
My best fish of the day was a stray from the work-ups, with some razor sharp teeth, that got the better of me!
With our short fishing window, Innsie retrieved one last fish safely in his net, then we decided to head back.
As we were heading back we spotted the Navy boys enjoying some late afternoon fishing too.
We had a tail wind home and made it back on land just after 7pm. Was such an easy session, being able to nip out after work and get a feed. Great peace of mind knowing we weren’t losing a whole day for a fishing session, truly the good life of Jetskifishing with all the attributes of quick launching, retrieving, travelling time, quick wash time and consistent results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most popular report...