Tuesday 22 March 2011

Report 022 First day out on the new WaveRunner... 3rd of December 2009

After being land based and without a ski for a couple of weeks, the wait was finally over and I was in possession of my new 2010 Yamaha WaveRunner. The changes to the latest model are only subtle with colour changes to the seats, trim and front hatch area, which make for a sleek looking fishing machine.
I had reviewed the forecast on Swellmap and knew it was great conditions to clock some fast hours up, out wide.
My new WaveRunner was kitted out with the Special Edition, 51 litre “Ultimate Rod Holder” custom painted by Prima Panelbeaters in East Tamaki. Also installed was the latest Raymarine GPS/Sounder A50D, located with convenience, at the WaveRunner drinks holder area.
Now all I had to do, was enjoy the luxuries and go catch some fish... I headed out with the usual heading from my Bucklands Beach departures, out via Motuihe Channel and through Rakino Channel with a heading of about 40 metres depth out towards Little Barrier. It didn‟t take long and I was fast approaching an area scattered with boats, enjoying some early morning work-up action. Amongst the activity, there was a couple of the fishing guru‟s, Mark and John from the NZ Fishing News.
I stopped for a yarn and at the same time each of us, were hooking up on some nice pannies amongst a sporadic work-up. The guru‟s were using the Daiwa Bay Rubbers and Pirates, which were working a treat with plenty of hook ups. All at this time I was multi tasking, taking photos and working my soft bait. Was a real sight to be seen, snapping pictures with the right hand, while striking the Snapper with the rod in the left! All these tasks have become part of a routine while Jetskifishing, including working the Tachyon video camera‟s, at least they have the ease of constant record time.
The soft bait of the day, for me was the new Gulp 5” – Lime Tiger Crazy Leg. Seems to be the Lime Tiger has been the hot flavour with the fishing in Auckland in recent weeks.
I soon switched for a change on the addictive jigging, this time using the 240 gram Green jig, on my Daiwa Monster Mesh rod. It was instant, one drop after another... as soon as the jig hit the sand, first wind up and I was struck by the Snapper.
There was plenty of foul hook ups too and unfortunately no big boys! The fish caught on the jig ranged from 460mm to 540mm in length. A real bonus, there was no Barracouta hook ups today, which meant no gear loss, which makes for a much more enjoyable days fishing.
The jigging session went on for such a long time with great results, the only thing that stopped me was „arm pump‟ - a horrible feeling when you get cramp... This is obviously the downside of the jigging, yet the more you improve your technique the better conditioned your body becomes.
There were plenty of images of the Snapper that took the bait of the jig, yet I am sure it gets a bit boring after seeing one! With enough fish in the chilly bin it was definitely looking like time to head back with the wind due to increase.

I could not resist a quick stop in the Rakino Channel at one of my new favourites. First cast and I was on to another pannie with the Crazy Legs.
Enough was enough, always a hard call when the fish are on the bite. The rods were clipped on, chilly bin lid was secured and I headed back to the ramp after another great day Jetskifishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most popular report...