Tuesday 22 March 2011

Report 031 More Kingfish action... 9th of March 2010

The last few weeks have been hectic with preparations for the King of Jetskifishing, fishing competition. The lead up to the contest has been great, with fifty keen anglers registered for their opportunity of bragging rights. With the support of the sponsors listed below, we have an amazing prize pool, including trophies in all the classes, including a children’s category. Next week there will be a full competition report with photos of the events highlights.
Amongst all this organizing, I fortunately had time to go for a fish with a fellow WaveRunner rider on Monday. We ventured up to the area of Flat Rock, near Kawau Island. For this trip, I was targeting Kingfish and it wasn’t long before I landed my first one of the day.
We also tried fishing amongst the Kahawai schools, with no big rewards.
We then drifted a few pins in the area, with plenty of action on the smaller Kingfish. After our patience wore thin, we then headed back towards the area of Tiritiri Matangi Island. I stopped for a quick lunch break, enjoying the surroundings, while my fishing buddy Stefan, stepped up with landing some dinner. The drifts were around the area of Shearer Rock, Stefan hooked up on his Kingfish using a green coloured jig.
Myself being exhausted from all the previous jigging action, I soon settled for some soft bait fishing… After a few colour changes through my Gulp selection, my Daiwa Sol set was being put through its merits. A Kingfish had struck the 7” Nuclear Chicken on the wind up, giving me a good ten minute battle of pure fun. I thrive with the challenge of the lighter gear in the shallows, it allows a real sporting opportunity, for the fish and the angler. After many good runs from the fish, I successfully landed the fish to complete a few quick photos, before releasing it.

Another great day on the water and I have also included some of the latest video links of that trip.   (Fuel - 46 litres)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most popular report...