Sunday 20 March 2011

Report 002 Coromandel Trip April 13th 2009

ROUND 2 EASTER MONDAY 2009, Channel Island Trip. After the Easter Friday enjoyment, of fishing at the Coromandel, I was encouraged by the some of the other crew to head over again. What does confuse me, is only three of us arrived for the early start (Did all the others sleep in?) Mark aka 2Extreme launched at Half Moon Bay and met Chris aka Newbie and myself at Bucklands Beach ramp. We were ready to leave at 5.50am and conditions could not be any better for this long distance trip. Now, I did hold things up at my end, with a technical glitch on my sounder being to technological for me in the dark! Never mind, I sorted it eventually and as you will see I saved the screen data for departure time.
We were on our mission and proposed an average speed of 40mph to conserve fuel so I took advantage of the Waverunner cruise control. I was enjoying every minute, especially looking forward to the sight of sunrise on one of those perfect days. We did not see the usual amount of boats on the water, we must have got a head start on everyone! I don't know about Mark and Chris, but that first 30 minutes of riding was an amazing trip with taking in all the surroundings, appreciating how lucky to have all this right at our door step. Wasn't long and we were at our first stop, we were over half way to the Coromandel and that was where we were leaving Mark to himself for his shorter window of fishing.
We carried on for a few more miles with a few quick photo stops, admiring the approaching sunrise.
Then another stop!
This time I actually stop amongst the early stages of a work up, yet it seemed to be just the bait fish and Kahawai!
We were not far off the destination
Not many days when you go all the way to the Coromandel without getting wet, the weather man was correct today.
We went for a fish over at Channel Island
Chris was doing well, having a few Snapper already in the chilly bin.
Most of Chris’s Snapper were averaging 550mm. I was having trouble avoiding the Leather Jackets, who were destroying my soft baits! Wasn't long and we went off on our individual missions, I went closer to the mainland, amongst the local boats. Then I was on to my first healthy Snapper going 3.5 kg (59cm) on a 7 " New Penny.
I next hear from Chris, via VHF and we met up just along the coast, to go to a quiet bay for a fuel top up.
We were now topped up with fuel and headed out a bit wider, to about 45 metres with a few other boats. On arrival it didn't look like a lot was happening, yet I thought I should try show some patience for fishing, which I am not to well known for. First drop was a bit of stuff up getting the drop of the soft bait going the right way with the tide! So, I reeled up and casted out again, this time was the way to do it, I hooked up this 11 Pounder from the deep. Must say the extra 20 metres of depth is a lot more work, winding up with the light gear, yet well worth for the second double digit Snapper for my Easter.
After that, we were still eager for some work up action! We started heading through the general area where they have been frequenting. No birds, a bit of bait fish and large pods of Dolphins! Not exactly what we were looking for, yet heaps of fun.
This is where we found the Dolphins on our way to Gannet
We headed past Gannet to the 24 metre area near Thumb Point.
I caught a few more Snapper, from 400mm to 460mm on the Crazy Legs soft baits. I learnt something new today, typically once the my softbaits drift past the ski the action is not as good and is obviously on the rise, hence not so much interest. Whereas the Crazy Legs seems, just as responsive past the ski on the drift up, or as you are feeding out more line, must be more attractive for the fish with its busy tails. Once I had 7 Snaps in the bin we called it a day, Chris also had plenty of Snapper and after such an early start we headed back. Today was magic out there and so peaceful going out wide and enjoying the different scenery away from the masses of boats in the channels.
The easy life of jetskifishing, for more reports visit www.jetskifishing.co.nz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most popular report...