Monday 21 March 2011

Report 015 Busted and wondering... 10th of October 2009

This had to be one of my busiest weeks yet! I had just completed an overnighter in the Queensland promoting Jetskifishing with experiencing those Aussies, who really know how to make a good impression. Their shops are of the highest standard and the customer service is extremely professional, with a truly positive outlook to the Jetskifishing concept.
What’s more important, I did make it back for my weekly report, even if only 5 hours sleep. I was straight back on my next mission which included collecting my new gear from Top Catch at Half Moon Bay. This was for my much anticipated experience of using the Team Diawa, Sol rod and reel set.
The destination for christening the new toys was Waihi Beach. The original plan was to have a quick fish on arrival, early Friday afternoon. This was a non event after glancing through the haze, I felt like I was hallucinating, as there were extreme conditions everywhere I could see. There was no escaping the strong winds, with the cold front we had been warned of on the latest forecast!
I soon accepted it was unsafe for the Friday mission and rescheduled for an early morning Saturday trip. The next plan was a 5.30am wake up to be on the water by 6.30am. With everything going well, I woke up on time, only to more rain and high winds! I could not see the sense in suffering with the elements, so I took advantage of a few extra hours sleep…
When I finally got out of bed, the conditions were more inviting with light winds and less rain. I went for a drive up to Anzac Bay in the Fiat Bambina and checked for the safety on the bar.
There was a nice rolling swell and the sea conditions looked encouraging for a Jetskifishing session beyond the bar.
By 9.30am my Waverunner was launched at Bowentown Boating and Sportfishing Club newly vamped ramp facilities. I headed out via the 5 knot zone and around past Lead Point to the access which point to cross the bar. The closer I got the more challenging it looked! My first heading had to be adjusted with the swells really rolling though with a messy white wash. The original approach was through the middle, instead I had to head up along Matakana to head out safely. The great peace of mind of the skis, including navigating the bar is you can accelerate and manoeuvre fast enough to safely ride through the bar.
Once successfully passing the rough water, I headed back around to Steels Reef.
On first arrival I was freaked by the unexpected greeting of some Bottlenose Dolphins right beside the ski! I set up for a drift over in a 11 metre area of the reef with no real fish sign. With the strong southerly wind, it was as if the fish were hibernating.
After a few casts and not much activity, I was retrieving my line and a few metres from the surface a Kahawai struck my 7” Nuclear Chicken. Next thing the high modulus carbon on my new Sol rod was proving its merits! The reel too was screaming and soon I had the upper hand on the line pulling Kahawai. I had successfully christened one of the new rods and reels and the Kahawai was bled and laid at rest in the chilly.
I continued with a few more drifts and not long and I had another Kahawai. The purpose of the trip was to cure my withdrawals in not so familiar territory and hopefully get some nice Snapper. The pressure was mounting and I was starting to think my Snapper run was over!
Next drop was at 14 metres on top of the reef, I was constantly aware of the possibilities of a snag, especially while using 1 oz. The jig head was relatively close to the bottom on the reef, so I urgently attempted to maintain the tight line. Then thump, I cursed thinking I had snagged… I tried reeling the line in and literally gained nothing. For 5 minutes I was adamant I was hooked on the reef. As I wound my braid the rod was fully arched, having me concerned of where the actual breaking point would be. This continued for some time and gradually I was retrieving a fraction of line unsure whether my winding was only pulling the momentum of the ski closer with moving swells. Then after seriously contemplating cutting the line, I persisted long enough to finally feel there was an actual fish responsible for the ongoing struggle. It wasn’t long and I was losing more line than I was retrieving. The rod and reel was truly being tested, on lifting I was pulling what seemed a dead weight and each time I would adjust the drag slightly. Each time I tightened the drag, I would lose another metre, as if the fish was playing with me! Amongst this activity I was still trying to prepare for this unexpected epic hook up, I was also attempting to turn on my helmet cam with no success. There was photo’s being snapped with this struggle, while trying to ready the gaf for the unknown. This battle continued for 30 minutes and just as I was close to seeing what was my heaviest soft bait hook up to date, I was busted about 5 metres from the surface. There was no gear loss, the jig head and Nuclear Chicken were still intact. I can only guess what it was, it could have been a sting ray, yet I doubt with the fight being straight down. Or may have been a trophy Snapper as there was a slow nod gradually peeling line?
After losing the mammoth battle, I was still keen for some Snapper in the chilly so I headed back behind the breakers. There was no major sign to be seen and the return trip through the bar looked very intimidating. I cruised around for a while and aimlessly spotted what I viewed as a narrow passage of tidal flow. This is otherwise known as the scum trail, as there is normally weed and sticks etc, floating in its path.
I stopped at this area and flicked the 7” Nuclear Chicken with a 5/8 oz jig head and next thing I was hit on a solid hook up and unfortunately lost it! I soon reset the drift and tried again. This time I did hook up securely on another solid fish, giving me a work out on the light gear. The Snapper was soon in sight as I hooked up high in the water column. After landing it, he weighed in at 9 pound 3, being well appreciated for Saturday night’s bbq.
After that hook up I could not resist having another cast in to the same stream of water and yes another hook up. This time a 6 pound Snapper on Gulp, Char Pepper Neon 7”. As with the previous Snapper, all the fish were high up in the water column.
For what was looking a slow day, it quickly became another exciting Jetskifishing session. I then secured all my gear, including attaching my VHF to myself for any unforeseen incidents returning through the bar. All went well and made it back to the ramp by 2.00pm with the kids to admire the catch for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most popular report...