Monday 21 March 2011

Report 005 The biggest mission yet... 27th July 2009

With the fishing reports I heard over the weekend, I was keen to test if the Winter fishing was really at a turn for the worst, or was it just typical bad weekend fishing! Sunday evening I text Myron, letting him know I had a big mission planned, the mission was to Anchorite, if the weather stayed as forecasted. He was keen, so I there was to be no backing down for me... The Monday morning did not start well, my second rod had not arrived on the courier, so I was to be fishing with one soft bait set and no spare! Myron was on time and waiting at Bucklands Beach Ramp on the water for me just after 9am. But with me, trying to get 3 children off to school and forgetting the so important camera, finally got there at 9.45am! Eventually we were on the start of our mission by 10 and decided to go around via the Takapuna side to head up past Tiri. The conditions were great, all the way to Rangitoto light house, next we were in for some air time as there was a slight swell and we were cruising at about 80 kph. We were soon on a heading for Anchorite and before we knew it we were of course and close to Flat Rock where there was plenty of bird activity.
Stopped for a quick fish and pulled up my first Snapper for the day and donated it to my fellow Jetskifisho, as I was hoping for some better sizes for my quota... After a few more drops, we decided to keep on heading to our new destination and after a lengthy ride we were finally in foreign territory.
Today’s fishing spot was to be Horn Rock, I decided why not go that little bit further!
The conditions were not so glam out there and was a fair current achieving a rapid drift, on our skis.
First hook up at HornRock, was a healthy Gran Daddy Hapuka and after the recent feedback I had heard, I thought I was over due to sample the taste.

A few more drifts with some nice patches of sign and I was on to another fish, this time a Snapper, also on the 7" Pink Shine.
Here I was starting to think this was not so bad, especially after the other fishoes comments of the bad day on the fishing calendar! With a few more casts, wasn't long and I was on to another Snapper, this one which I decided not to keep as I still had plans for better fish for today’s trip. This is when it all went horribly wrong, removing the jig head too casually, slicing my thumb open. Made for some not so enjoyable fishing with a nice blood trail over the ski! Wet hands, no first aid was going to fix this quickly and all I wanted to do was fish. Carried on with the fishing and next drop was on to a string puller a Snapper going just over 7 pound.
Things were looking up and the next cast I was being hopeful of a good fish! Here I was thinking the line was sinking and felt it was seeming very light, so I reeled it in and found the trace had been bitten through on the drop, I didn't feel a thing! By now I had enough, cold, cut hands and trying to re-gear my line... Yet, still set up for another drift and after dropping another fish, I knew it was time to head back to land for after school duties.
Left Horn Rock and on the way back, came across the Kahawai boils ups, which I hadn't seen of recent weeks.
I could not resist a quick stop and had a flick around and hooked up on Kahawai which was swiftly added to the Chilly Bin.
Thought that was too easy and decided why not go for another and this time I managed to get below the Kahawai. Here again, thinking happy thoughts with visions a nice fish...
This time a damn Couda!


That was enough fluffing around, so I raced back at 100 clicks the whole way with a quick photo stop, near Tiri.
The trip from Horn Rock to Bucklands Beach, I estimate to be an hour 10, due to the first heading, being a little of track.
Myron was left to cruise back and he went via the Noise's and came across the Navy doing their training drills
I was pleased to see Myron also had a chilly bin with a few Snapper going home to his family. Was another great day and there was plenty out there enjoying Mondayitis. Here is a basic trip report, I estimate I used 65 litres of fuel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most popular report...