Monday 21 March 2011

Report 006 Whale watching and Snapper fishing in the Gulf... 5th August 2009

Hi Crew, the forecast was for 10 knots variable... What more can I say, apart from, try keep me off the water on a day like that! The plan was to meet Mark (2Extreme) out there on his new FX HO Waverunner, my twin Jetskifisho. I got the earlier start and decided to launch at my usual spot, being Bucklands Beach. The water was exactly as forecasted, it was glass all the way to the Maria's.
I had organized with Mark and I, that we would go search for the workups, so I headed out to 45 metres with a direction of the tip of the Coromandel. Once I was well past the back of Waiheke Island, I headed back to the fishing trawlers and that was where I was amazed to see a whale frequenting the surface. I was eager to get some photos, yet reluctant after seeing the size! It was a monster, making me cautious as I would
have looked an inviting feed. My ski could have easily fit in its mouth in one gulp.
I seemed to miss the good camera opportunities, yet did get some distant video, which is linked below. After all this excitement I finally arrived at Gannet Rock.
Mark finally turned up.
We had a short fishing session and with the wind getting up, we decided to head back to Durville Rocks.
With plenty of sign at D’Urville we both missed a few fish and Innsie also met with us. After half an hour, we proceeded to my fish farm at the Ahahaa's. Wasn't long and I was on to a Snapper at the farm and Mark lost a couple more fish, wasn't his day! Innsie snuck over to his spot, which was pick of the day!
Congrats, you have mastered Jetskifishing in rapid time Innsie. After procrastinating with the slow bite, I decided to go see Innsie in the distance, was the best choice of the day. He was getting smashed on the drop with the Camo's, he had 6 in the bin in short time. I added another couple to my bin and lost a few in my over fishing state. Next thing Mark caught up with us, he had another newbie Jetskifisho - Lemar, who also decided to join us. I did see Lemar hooked up on a good fish, really enjoying the whole buzz, yet he is still waiting to land that first fish!
After a few more drifts, Mark and I decided to head back as we both had plenty to do. For what was magic conditions on the way out, were shocking on the way back. Was hell of a fun ride with consistent big air, so much that my jetskicam is now on the sea floor!
Overall a great day out, with many laughs and a great experience again seeing a whale. Not many Snapper for me on this trip, yet I was still sticking to Soft baits and using 7" and being photographer, does slow my fishing down...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most popular report...