Tuesday 22 March 2011

Report 020 Perfect conditions for work-up action... 12th of November 2009

This session of Jetskifishing was all planned around the weather, which was forecasted at 5 to 10 knots.
With my more recent trips around the Hauraki Gulf being in rugged conditions, this was a trip to look forward to. I also decided to include with my upcoming reports the feature of a live tracking system. This would mean registered members of our fishing forum, can now view from their office how far and where my weekly reports take me. The first test run however did not work to plan so the many logged online were somewhat disappointed after so much anticipation… The Team at Manta Electronics have now got the tracker sorted and I intend to use the system for all my upcoming trips. You will see the live trips on imaging as with this Google map, displaying the location where I launched on Thursday.
After a delayed departure, I finally got on the water at 10.00 am at Bucklands Beach. Steve was already down at the ramp, eager and waiting for our latest expedition. Steve gets extremely excited with these trips, and loves any photo op, as you will see…
Once the posing images were completed, we cruised out via Musick Point, with a heading, a few miles past the Noises. The weather man definitely had it correct, the sea was flat with little cloud cover. This was going to be a bright day on the water, so chasing workups was the more viable option.
We maintained a speed of about 80 kph, while constantly scanning for any sign of the Gannets. Soon in the distance we spotted the initial signs of a small workup, closer to Tiritiri Matangi Island. We quickly detoured to that area, wondering if the work ups could really be in that close. First drop with our plastic baits and Steve and I were each on to Snapper. My first fish was on the good old faithful Gulp 7” Nuclear Chicken.
As the birds were not going as mad as I expect, in an action filled work up, we soon moved out to deeper water. The action didn’t pick up for about an hour, then all of sudden in the distance, I spotted the dream work up. With the adrenalin stepping up a notch, we quickly moved over 500 metres to the heart of the work up. We were right amongst the Gannets, with dive bombing action, including hundreds of Dolphins and a Whale to add to the atmosphere.
Boats were rushing over to join our action and I couldn’t believe the sight of them missing plastics fun and settling for using smelly baits amongst the work up. Both of us jetskifishos were hooked up on Snapper with our Gulps with the on looking boaties bemused with our excitement. I was a little peeved with one boat that I perceived as ignorant, to common boating etiquette. After his rush of not settling his boat far enough away from me, he was drifting right towards me, while I was hooked up with a fish! Not only did he do it once, on our next move with the work up he did the same again, no excuse really when there is so much water out there… The fishing action went on for a good fifteen minutes, yet I honestly spent more time being Steve’s personal photographer and me just enjoying the sights.
It is an amazing experience to be amongst all that action and see and hear every ones excitement.
Once the work up died down, we tried a few other areas with bird activity and then Steve and I parted in separate directions as I had ideas of deeper waters. I headed a few miles further out, towards Little Barrier and found more Gannets with some more fishing action.
Out wider I tried some jigging, first with the pink Zest, with no success and then changed to the green. The jigs can get to the bottom quickly and with the first wind up, I was hooked up instantly! What a great feeling, with my solo session, jig experimenting and finally hooked up on a Snapper. I was at about 40 metres of water and with using my Daiwa Monster Mesh rod, retrieving a Snapper was easy work after all that Kingfish action last month. Once at the surface my gut feeling was confirmed, with a Snapper swiftly being comforted in my net.

I continued jigging and before long, my jig was donated to the sea gods after a good strike breaking at the braid knot.
I soon opted for fishing back on the plastics, this time with the new Gulp, Crazy Legs-New Penny. Straight away, I was hooked up, to what I thought was another good fish…
It was sadly, a large Barracuda!
They are the most awkward of fish to handle so far on my WaveRunner. Trying to retrieve your gear in one piece is messy and high risk, with their razor sharp teeth. Here is some kiwi ingenuity, another handy use for my “Ultimate Rod Holder” kit. I use the stainless rod holder to hold the fishes mouth open, while retrieving the jig head. The reason is, the Cuda are fast enough to bite anything in striking distance from their head!
There was more Snapper action using the Crazy Legs and after selecting six nice Snapper to take home for dinner, it was time to head back in the direction of the Haystack.
Just past the Haystack, I spotted the Spirit of New Zealand.
Was another fun day Jetskifishing and nice to know the work ups are so close, hope everyone else takes advantage of the great fishing and gets an early start with the Summer fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most popular report...