Monday 21 March 2011

Report 017 First time jigging and I am hooked... 23rd of October 2009

With the opportunity of a long weekend, I soon decided to make an extra day of it! I had been given plenty of invites from Phil Barchet of “Reel Life” Experiences to feel the excitement of some serious sport fishing! Of course I would want to step it up and experience it on my WaveRunner…
For this much of a procrastinated trip, I prepared mid week with my recommended artillery, ranging from soft baits, to deep water rubber jigs and metal jigs for Kingfish. For the plastics, I included the latest Gulp Alive, Crazy Legs range. The Curried Chicken, New Penny and Lime Tiger are my choice of new colours that I will be using this Summer.
I also was looking forward to using the Daiwa Bayrubbers, they should improve my fishing results in 60 metres plus.
We arrived up at Phil and Chris’s house in Waipapa, late on Thursday night. There was no mucking around, on arrival at 11pm Phil and I had decided that we would be up at 5.00am for an early start fish…
That we were, 5.00am the alarm went off and next thing I was up walking around the house, half asleep, thinking why do we do these mad early missions!
Phil’s boat buddy Gavin, also was coming out for the not so pleasant weather forecasted fishing session. The forecast was for 20 knots from the south with rain, so Phil’s plan was to get an early start before the wind got up!
We headed off on a mini convoy, via Kaeo for the necessary supplies being some early morning gas station food, something renowned for the early start fishing trips.
Our heading was Whangaroa with a destination about 15 miles from the Radcliffe Bay boat ramp. Leaving the ramp it was a tranquil sight, with the picturesque surroundings heading out of the harbour.
On leaving the entrance we were straight into a large swell creating a big air ramp from both off us! I was sure Phil was trying to see if he could get some of the same airtime with his boat, as I did on the WaveRunner. With the conditions we were heading out in, it was pretty challenging, yet I was determined after all the anticipation to still go give this jigging a go, no matter how wet the trip out may be.
On arrival at spot x, Phil did his thing if that’s what you can call it! He scouted around looking for the desired fish sign.
With the jigging experience being new to me, I was prepared to try learning the technique on the boat… Yet after thinking a bit more, I soon decided I would attempt the technique with trial and error on the ski. Next thing the signal is given by Phil and all three of us are dropping our jigs. First time and I am watching Gavin and Phil on the boat, while trying to master some form of a technique, that felt somewhat awkward for me!
The first couple of drops went without a hook up and then I had success, a solid smash on the wind up.

This is what I was here for, after all the anticipation I was loving every minute of it. The Daiwa Monster Mesh rod was arched, with me gradually adjusting the drag on the Saltist 30T, to quickly turn the fish around. After about 10 minutes, my first Kingfish on the new set was at the side of the ski. At this time, I was somewhat overwhelmed, as I was not prepared for such an instant result. I was unsure, should I be keeping the nice sized first fish or is there more to come? I was reluctant to gaf it and while casually communicating with Phil the Kingfish busted from the hook. The lesson was learnt and the fish was left for another day… and sadly that was the best fish for my day.
We carried on the action for a few hours, with me off on my own little tangent while Phil and Gavin were visible in the distance. I fished with the same 200 gram Zest jig for the whole morning’s session, hooking up on 7 Kingfish for my virgin jigging session.
I unfortunately also hooked up with a nasty Barracouta on the jig too.
The couta needed some assistance with some extra hands from the boat crew to retrieve my jig.
The skis have plenty of merits, but one of the few down sides, they don’t have the room to handle large sharp toothed fish.
Amongst the fishing session, I was joined by a few Dolphins, an Albatross and shark intrigued to check out my WaveRunner.
I am now hooked on another form of fishing on these great fishing platforms. Thanks again Phil, a shame we missed the big boys this day, I think it wasn’t such a bad thing on the newbie session.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most popular report...