Tuesday 22 March 2011

Report 046 Perfect conditions for Jetskifishing... 29th of November 2010

With the weather forecasted for light winds, there was no stopping me for an early Jetskifishing session.
It is a great sight, seeing the sun rise and you are able to miss the weekend chaos of the Hauraki Gulf.
With flat seas, it was a perfect opportunity to take advantage of the renowned Yamaha fuel economy…with a quick stop on the way to add some Snapper in the chilly bin, I soon ventured out wide to the hit or miss spot of Anchorite.
The trip log of the Anchorite adventure.
At Anchorite there was plenty of fish activity on the surface and after the first cast and retrieve I spotted some Kingfish following up the bait… Just what I was looking for, so it was time to get the Daiwa Monster Mesh out to have a jig.
The visibility was clear for a good fifteen metres depth and I was able to admire the schools of Kingfish swimming under the ski. I soon had a closer look after hooking up on a rat Kingfish on the green and yellow jig.
With the fish being well under size, I continued many retrieves trying to get hooked up on one of the many larger fish I could see swimming under the ski. I tried various colours and eventually after the tiring jigging action, I switched to the soft baits. This had the same result, as with other soft baiting sessions amongst the Kingfish, they can’t resist a Gulp Nuclear Chicken on the fast retrieve.
One after another I kept on catching and releasing them, until I hooked a screamer! When it first hit the soft bait, I could tell it was a good fish, I had to slowly maneuver the rod over the front of the ski as the fish applied its weight. I was only in thirty metres of water and was conscious of being reefed as I was gently increasing the drag to slow it down. After a few minutes and the fish finally waking up, I had no chance and ended up with a busted line to what would have been my best fish of the day.


After a few more casts, I soon called it a day at Anchorite and made a loop back fishing in the workups and enjoying another brilliant day for Jetskifishing. The Dolphins were out in big numbers and they are always curious about the ski and won’t be long before I have a swim with them I’d say.
I decided to test out the new Pentax digital camera which looks to have plenty of potential for some great under water shots over summer.
Was a dream ride on the WaveRunner covering well over one hundred km’s on the water to what was an extremely dry ride. I utilized all the luxuries including the cruise control for the long trip out to Anchorite. As with all my adventures, safety is paramount, I carry a cell phone, VHF and PLB, a must for any sensible Jetskifisho considering such a trip. The whole adventure was never an issue for fuel, the ski has a seventy litre fuel tank and with all the ticky-touring, only used 58 litres. It is great to know the Kingfish are back in good numbers and I am looking forward to the next months with having an opportunity to crack my personal best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most popular report...