Monday 21 March 2011

Report 014 Different spot, same result... 29th of September 2009

After the last minute invite for any keen Jetskifishos Monday evening, there was no takers... I can understand why, with the shocking conditions fishing would be the last priority. For myself with a report due weekly, my sessions are only when time allows. The forecast was for 15 - 20 knots, rising to 30 +. I departed Bucklands Beach ramp at 8.30am in which the conditions seemed reasonable. As soon as I got to Musick Point, I soon experienced the true forecast, with the start of what became very wet trip. Just past Motuihe, is where the ride was harder yards, straight into the wind, with large swells rolling in.
The destination was Rakino Channel area, at the spot I regularly fish by the Three Sisters. Once finding the fish sign with the Raymarine, I completed a few drifts.
The fish were there, but none keen today on the 7", as it was still an hour before low tide. With my patience wearing thin and drifting in the miserable cold weather, I randomly spotted gannets diving in the distance. Within a minute everything was stowed away and ready to chase work ups amongst the big swells!
I was on a wild Gannet chase! The work up was wide spread and moving at a fast rate. There was plenty of Kahawai amongst the bait fish with Snapper beneath. I picked up one Snapper, yet decided to head back for fishing amongst the shelter of Rakino. On arrival back at the Three Sisters I picked up another Snapper, going 440mm on a 7" Nuclear Chicken.
As I was still sitting in the brunt of the wind, I then moved to South Island off Rakino Island.
This was much more enjoyable and proved to be the pick of the day. The fish were smashing the baits within 3 metres after hitting the surface. Not one fish caught on the day was caught off the bottom, this technique takes more work with your rod, yet more sporting when they strike.
The best fish went 480mm, no big boys and getting a feed was the objective for today's session. I decided at fish number six that would be plenty to feed the family for a couple of days. I was fortunate when heading back with the wind and the incoming tide, so the ride was reasonably pleasant at 50kph. My curiosity got the better of me though and I decided to try my all time favourite spot at Motuihe. I hadn't been there for a year and with the first cast I quickly pulled another Snapper on a 7" Camo.
My session was done arriving back just after midday, with 7 Snapper in the bin it was another good result.

Important trip data:
WIND DIRECTION – NW
FISHING ACTIVITY TIME – 9.30 am to 11.30 am
LOW TIDE – 10.00am
SOFT BAIT – 7” Gulp Camo and Nuclear Chicken
JIG HEAD WEIGHT – 1 ounce.
BEST FISH – 480 mm
SMALLEST FISH – 380 mm
DESTINATION – Rakino Channel
PWC – 2009 Yamaha Waverunner FX HO
FUEL – 18 litres approximately
DATE - 29/9/2009


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most popular report...