Tuesday 22 March 2011

Report 026 Excess luggage with a personal best... 14th of January 2010

This trip was a mid week session at the area where I landed the 11 kilo Kingfish on Boxing Day. I had a good feeling about this adventure all week, the moon phase was great and the wind forecasted was suitable for a comfortable trip out wide. I needed some fishing tackle on the way, so I made a quick stop at Rowan’s, Reel n Wave (Waihi Beach) for the necessary salt ice, for preserving fish on such a hot day…
As I was to be staying at Bowentown, I called in to quickly unload the car and within 15 minutes I was all prepared and launching my ski off the sand, 100 metres from the house. Was such a great feeling being on the water and leaving the daily routine to enjoy some fun Jetskifishing. It starts with that first push of the button hearing the engine on your ski kicking in to life, then gliding out at 5 knots taking in all the surroundings, contemplating how exciting the ramping waves will be on the bar! I could feel the freedom, I was out of the 5 knot zone and full throttle past Anzac Bay in excess of 100 kph, fully rigged with eyes set for Mayor Island.
The bar conditions were perfect for some exciting launches and the swell preparing a gradual ramp for the safest feeling of air time at three quatres throttle. Once that buzz was over, it was back to the business of heading to the pin that had been proving the spot to fish in recent weeks. Yet, I still couldn’t resist a quick stop, half way out amongst a boil up which proved to be a non event. The fishing gear was soon secured and I continued following my GPS track, to the Mayor Island productive 36 metre pin. On arrival I spotted Mike and my brother just off the pin, having a jig without success…
These two have been enjoying the rewards of the jigging buzz for a few years now, so I was keen to see their proven technique. As normal for me, I still chose to do my own thing, rather than fishing in other boaties drift lines… I scouted the area and eventually found a decent patch of sign off the side of the pin, at 60 metres.
On my second drop, I was hooked up, using the 200 gram purple jig. The fish was not a biggie, so I easily had it at the ski in quick time. After some procrastination and the other two fisho’s not landing any fish at that stage, we decided we best keep the Kingfish, even if only 800mm.
The pressure was now off for me, with one in the chilly bin and could now trial some different methods and other jigs. I re-rigged with a Daiwa 300 gram Black/Gold, Speed Jig. I then reset a drift, after finding a large amount of sign using the Raymarine A50D Sounder/GPS. The next drop/retrieve I had no success and I was starting to feel the draining effects of a fast ride out and some strenuous jigging action.
I deployed the jig again and went through the routine with the somewhat awkward feeling of retrieving the jig with my fading energies. I slowed down while retrieving the jig, in the last 20 metres and little did I know a Kingfish was still hunting my jig. Within 15 metres of the surface, while my jig was at a very slow speed, my Daiwa Monster Mesh was soon proving its merits, with a perfect arc to admire. I knew from the first second this was a solid fish, the reel was screaming and I was hanging on as tight as I could, waiting for the right moment to tweak the drag. The tactical battle started, I would tweak the drag, to only retrieve the line slightly after initially losing a good 30 metres of line with the strong bursts from the Kingfish.
For this fish, it was tweak after tweak with the drag after each wind, yet fish was continuing to gain more line from my reel. There was plenty of talk from me, with the adrenalin peaking, having a good fish hooked up. The whole experience was enjoyed by all of us with encouragement as the ski being pulled in all directions. I thought I was getting the upper hand and was continually counting the coloured braid, with me gauging how much depth the fish really had. As said, thought I had the upper hand! Next the fish gained another 15 metres on me, so I was constantly conscious of being reefed or tightening the drag to only be busted. I persisted, knowing this could be the goal fish I had aimed for.
I soon had the fish directly underneath me, the ski was being manipulated by the strength of this powerful street fighter of the sea. The boys on the boat could see it before me and were confirming it was a great fish, next thing I got a glimpse and there was many explicates of excitement from me! I had to think quickly after the recent predator incident, what to do with it? The Kingfish was thrashing around at the surface, attracting plenty of attention for any sharks in the vicinity. I located my gaf and lunged at the fish, barely gaffing it below the stomach, not my best shot…
I next was trying to lift the fish on to the ski, while it was still full of energy and trying to secure it, while gaffed and holding it against my vest. I soon had the fish under control and eventually got half the fish into my chilly bin, to assure me I had won. With the fish weighing in at 19 kilo and 1120mm in length, this was another reason to look at a special edition “Ultimate Rod Holder” kit for other Kingfish anglers…
With all the excitement and no storage left on my ski for any other catch, I proceeded to head back home with my fish of the year. On the way back I admired an aerobatic display of a large shark repeatedly somersaulting out of the water, adding to the amazing day on the water. I carefully cruised back in no hurry, taking about 50 minutes return, compared to the 35 minutes heading out.
Was another fun adventure with Jetskifishing, only 33 litres of fuel used and plenty of fish on the menu for the family dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most popular report...